Monday, May 12, 2014

If I Knew Then What I Know Now.



This post originally ran on May 15, 2009


To Me, at age 10:
- Never, ever let anyone else define you.

- Tithe.


- Take more risks.


- Don't waste your time searching for "The One". He'll show up when the time is right. In the meantime, go have fun.


- A victim is exactly that. Don't be one.

- Turn off the tv.
 


- When your cat is dying, stay home from work to be with her.

- Respect yourself and others will follow suit.


- Don't put your life on hold for anyone.

- Indulge yourself every now and then.

- Don't be afraid to reinvent yourself.

- Open your eyes and connect with the person you're making love to.

- Floss.

- Being in a relationship doesn't mean you have to break up with yourself first.


- Don't sell those handmade Barbie clothes your Grandmother made for you. You'll wish you'd kept them when you're older.

- Everything in moderation, except love and laughter.

- Reserve the right to change your mind.


- When you get engaged in a few years, seriously consider eloping. It would be better if you didn't start your marriage in financial debt. The people who love you will forgive you and those that won't, don't matter.


- You're not perfect. You'll never b
e perfect. Perfection is boring. Work, instead, on being your most authentic.


- Keep your word.

- Always buy good quality footwear.

- Expecting someone else to "make you happy" is a terrible burden to place on that person. Be responsible for your own happiness.

- When in doubt, choose the high road.

- Don't put off doing the things that are important to you until the conditions are ideal. They'll never be ideal. Do it now.


- Believe them when they tell you that marriage is hard work.


- It's always the right choice to champion an animal.
- Cultivate your individuality.


- Not every question requires an answer and not every decision requires an explanat
ion.


- Just because someone knocks on the door, doesn't mean you have to open it.

- Everyone feels uncomfortable at a party when they don't know anyone. Be the one to place someone else at ease.


- Never pass up the chance to nap in a sunbeam.
 


- Your friends are the ones who stick around after the separation and divorce.


- Embrace those times when you get lost. That's when the real adventure begins.


- Don't take yourself too seriously.

- Seek to be happy, not right.


- Use your voice.


- Don't regret your poor choices, just make better ones next time.


20 comments:

Michele said...

Carolynn - these are great words of wisdom, thank you for sharing them. I especially like the "perfection is boring" one. :)

Farmgirl_dk: said...

You have become very wise!! Oh I felt such a twinge when I read the one about staying with your kitty. :-(
When I got to "floss" on your list, it reminded me of that song that was going around a few years ago called "Everybody's Free (to wear sunscreen)". Do you remember it?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
If you aren't familiar with it, I promise you, it's worth a listen. :-)
I hope you have a great weekend, Carolynn!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Oh yeah, one more thing.... :-)
I recognize those Granville Island desserts!! YUM

Jan said...

Carolynn,
I love this! Wouldn't it be great to print out on a very cool (handmade) card and give to a graduate? Perfection! I especially like, "Seek to be happy not right." Grasping that shifted my world years ago. It is a powerful precept for living. Have a glorious weekend! BTW, stop by my blog and let me know what you think of the new look. :-)

Maria said...

Love this

Deborah Carr said...

All the wisdom one needs to live rich, die happy.

I wish I could remember to floss...

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Carolynn,

Simply lovely. Why does it take so long for us to realize these things?

Jen

Mikey said...

Oh, I liked all of those. Especially the Ghandi quote, of course. Floss made me laugh, but so true. Taking off work when your cat dies, Amen. And my personal favorite, embracing when you get lost. There's nothing I like better than looking around saying "Where the heck am I?"
(most times I've known I'm in western America. What state.. that is the question)
Love it. I wish I'd known all that too. Guess that's the fun in life though, learning those lessons.

Tracey said...

Carolynn,
I think I will print out this post and put it on my fridge! How'd you get so smart anyway?
:) Tracey

Sherri said...

Carolynn, what wonderful words to live by! Thanks for sharing!!

Angela Recada said...

This is so beautiful. Each point is a gem. I could see it as a poster, something every teenage girl should have hanging in her bedroom so she has to look at it every day.

Those pastries look sooo good!
:0)

PurestGreen said...

My favourite is the one about napping in the sunbeam.

Blog bouncing on a Saturday evening has landed me here. And how happy I am to have done so. Your blog is wonderful - applause, applause!

I am google readering you now.

June said...

"Too soon old, too late smart" as the saying goes...

Don't you wonder what we will look back from age 75 and say to our Now Selves? It'll probably be something about not running from nonexistent trains.

Donna said...

Thank you for these, and for your blog!

Rosehaven Cottage said...

Such wonderful words of wisdom that I too wish I could have told my ten year old self. Ah yes... if only...

Cindy

Eve said...

These are great Carolynn! A couple made me laugh! Thanks for a perfect post!

nikkicrumpet said...

If we only knew then what we know now...and if only I'd had you around to tell me all the important stuff! You just did it beautifully.

Daniel Spurgeon said...

Very nice advice. My wife and I did elope- rather than have the traditional marriage ceremony. We did notify friends and family the day we were going to get married in advance- we just didn't want a ceremony. Her father wasn't happy about it- but he got over it. :)

emily-sarah LINEBACK said...

Wonderful post!

Sharon said...

Carolynn, these are all wonderful and true. We do get wiser as we get older. I don't know if my younger self would believe all the lessons I've learned, or if maybe she'd still want to find out for herself.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin