Friday, May 02, 2014

Chicken Update


Rooster
Original Watercolour Sketch

I JUST ORDERED OUR CHICKS!!
I JUST ORDERED OUR CHICKS!!


This chicken raising thing is going to be a growth experience, I can tell already. Just placing an order for chickens has been a minor ordeal that has required us to change our initial plans and adapt to new information.

We decided early on to order our hens from a reputable hatchery in the province to ensure, as much as possible, that they were free from disease and otherwise healthy. Unfortunately, the week prior to placing our order, we read the fine print on the order form and discovered that we had to order a minimum of 25 chicks! Even though the reason was sound, that was way more than we wanted, or can comfortably house.

We only wanted 10. Or 8. Maybe 6. I kept waffling on the number...way less than 25!

Fortunately, we found out there was another family run hatchery in a neighbouring province that delivered to our little town. I placed a call and spoke to a very pleasant fellow. I liked him even before he told me their minimum order was 10 chicks. Excellent!

In the meantime, work continues apace on the chicken coop/palace/fortress. It's really starting to take shape and will, I'm quite confident, double as very fine guest quarters. It's really nice, I'm not kidding!

While The Frenchman is working his heart out building the hen house, I'm researching and studying up on how to raise chicks. There's still so much to do to prepare for their arrival at the end of the month. 

I'm hoping this will also provide an excellent opportunity to acquaint our dog with them, so she accepts them as members of the family and doesn't mistake them for little squeaky toys.

Anyway, all that aside...  

We're going to have chicks!!!

11 comments:

Bobbybegood1 said...

Great! 10 is so much more workable than 25 - depending on what your plans are. Do you plan to sell your birds for food or use them to sell eggs. Cheers!!

Catherine said...

Woohoo! Chicken farmer! Yup, that's what you will become! LOL! I await the photos of fluffy balls of goodness.
xo Catherine

Carolynn Anctil said...

Bobby: Definitely. We don't plan to do either. We'll likely give extra eggs away to friends.

Catherine: Photos?! You can meet the little cheepers in person!

Lin said...

How fun!

Did you know that chickens eat mice? I didn't until I started reading all these farm blogs. I learn a LOT of gross/cool stuff on farm blogs.

Kimberley said...

I am so excited for you, and for me too because I will get to enjoy the photos and the stories you'll have to tell.

Oh, I can't wait till they get there!!

JaneK said...

Woohoo!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Dare I say . . . eggs-citing?

Carolynn Anctil said...

Lin: Too true! Here's another one for you - did you know that chickens sleep so soundly that mice will nibble on their feet and they won't wake up?

Kimberley: Me, too!! :o))

Debra: You can and it is!!

Jen Vandervoort said...

So exciting, little fluff balls running around the place. Can't wait to see photos!!

And a palace for the princess chicks!

Jen

Rain Trueax said...

We had all our chickens, which we let free range, killed by my parents' very sweet dogs but it's just in the nature of some dogs; so be real careful on trusting any dog around chickens when you're not there to monitor.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Jen: You can count on it! :o)

Rain: We won't be letting our chickens free range, simply because there are too many predators here - owls, hawks, fox, skunk, coyote, dogs and cats...just to name the ones we've seen. :o/

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin