Monday, April 28, 2014

My Dog Willow



My dog Willow, bless her furry heart, is a mass of contradictions.

She's an inside dog who really wants to be an outside dog. She lays on a foamy by the window, her head resting on the window sill and grumbles at the birds who enter the no-fly zone. 

I offer to let her outside and one of two things will happen. She'll jump up and run to the door, bouncing on her front paws and moaning in her eagerness to get out and lay chase to the interlopers. Or, she'll look at me with a slightly pained look on her face as if to say, "I'd like to, I really would, but, it's much too windy." Or, hot, or wet...you get the picture. The only weather she seems to really thrive in is snow. 

So, she lays on her pillow and I wear myself out walking back and forth trying to be a good hostess.

Part of the problem is that she's sociable. She wants to go outside, but she doesn't want to go out there alone. She'd rather live out her days inside, if it meant that she could be near her humans. That's not to say that I never take her out, I do, but I'd like to think that I'm more than her personal assistant. Some days it's difficult to tell.

Even though she's friendly with people, she's very timid around other dogs and will, literally, attempt to leap into my lap if a strange dog comes within range. She's roughly 80 lbs. and it would be quite an accomplishment, even if I wasn't standing up, at the time. 

That said, she has a crush on our friend's small breed dog and nearly turns herself inside out in an attempt to get near him. Unfortunately, he's old and grumpy and slightly less smitten with her, so her feelings routinely get hurt.

She's smart as a whip and can understand several words of English, her favourites being "cheese" and "dinner". 

She's all dog but, I swear, she thinks she's really a very large cat. She absolutely adores Luna and follows her around like a lovesick puppy, except when she has a rawhide chew stick. Then, all bets are off. Luna will deny it, but she's pretty attached to Willow, too.

Her coat is such a deep shade of black that we've taken to putting a 'night light' on her colour in the evenings so we don't trip over her in the dark. She all but disappears to sight when she lays on a dark area rug in the shadows and we've nearly killed ourselves on more than one occasion stumbling over her inert body.

For all her eccentricities, no matter the situation, she always greets the day with enthusiasm and eagerness. A most excellent role model for living life in the moment and with joy, if ever there was one.



8 comments:

Catherine said...

Yup - we can all take lessons from a dog can't we? Live in and enjoy the moment! :)
xo Catherine

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've often noticed that animals usually speak English a whole lot better than we speak their languages. My cat, for example, had a wide English vocabulary of at least a dozen words. She was the Einstein of cats.

Sharon said...

Willow sounds like the loveliest companion. It's the best combination when you enjoy an animal's company and they can make you laugh.

Bobbybegood1 said...

What a lovely post. I'm happy for you and Willow. Cheers!!

altadenahiker said...

Oh, a most excellent, funny, and warm portrait of woman's best friend. Willow's twin also fancies himself an indoor lapdog, and when I say "Outside!" his first gambit is to lie down, make his nose look long and eyes sad, as I just might relent.

Lin said...

Aw, she sounds like a sweetheart to me. All but the "come outside with me" part--my cat does that. While it is nice when I have the time, it drives me crazy when I need to get him in the house quickly.

C-ingspots said...

Simply put - the most amazing of companions, no doubt!! I'll bet Willow and my Ruby would have a wonderful time playing and exploring. Ruby loves to chase the Kildears, who routinely lead her on a merry chase of their own. :)

Jen Vandervoort said...

Willow sounds like a true darling...maybe she thinks she's human, not dog.

Jen

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin