Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Winter's Final Farewell



Can you tell that I have Spring on my mind?  It's definitely been warmer lately, although the forecast still threatens snow and we've seen a few flakes descend.  It's okay though.  It's like the first snow of the season all over again and I know that it'll be gone in no time.  

Next up:  Spring.  Or, as we like to call it around here Pothole Season.  Seriously, some of the holes in the road could swallow a compact car. Actually, this period between winter's thaw and summer's heat is officially known as Spring Breakup.  It's a phenomenon I had never heard of until I moved to the prairies.

The soil around here retains moisture extremely well. In fact, none of the farmers irrigate their fields because they don't need to.  They rely on Mother Nature to water their crops and the soil soaks it up like a sponge and holds it there.

At this time of year, all that melting snow and the infamous April showers have the potential to turn gravel roads into great big mud pits that are as slick as ice and as thick and sticky as fresh cookie dough. Road closures are common, particularly for vehicles over a certain weight and this is the only time of year that we welcome the winds that help to dry things up, on the surface, anyway.

Mud inevitably gets tracked in the house, leaving wandering paw print trails on the floor and my inner neat freak takes this opportunity to practice letting go.

On a positive note, the birds are filling the air with their happy voices, new buds are beginning to form on the plants that were hardy enough to withstand the winter temperatures, and Barney, the barncat has been spotted exploring the yard. I hope it means he intends to set up permanent residence here. 

8 comments:

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

March, April = mud, pawprints. :)

altadenahiker said...

I envy you. It appears that we've just gone from summer to summer and skipped all those pesky seasons in between.

S. Etole said...

These paintings are such fun.

Lin said...

I welcome the mud and the mess if that means warmth is actually coming. Potholes...well..I can do without. Driving these days takes a special sort of skill...

Good to hear that the plants are budding somewhere. I hope we are next!

Catherine said...

Aren't those pot holes crazy! One needs to drive a monster truck to get around. ;)
xo Catherine

linmil said...

Oh my. I am enjoying your posts and especially your artwork. It is WONDERFUL and inspiring me to want to sit down and create a little work of my own. Thank you!

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams said...

We woke to snow this morning...husband says don't worry it will all be gone by June...well I certainly hope so.

Pot hole season...yes going through that right now. What fun to drive along and bump...

Jen

Sharon said...

I have had this colorful ray of hope up on my monitor for two days. Temps here have been way below normal and clouds are rolling in for what could be snow or rain or both. Potholes and frost heaves are the worst we've ever seen due to the few warm days in January and winter cold ever since[freezing + thawing + refreezing]. Ah, spring...I hope we get at least a glimpse of you this year ~

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin