Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Empire Building


I really challenged myself this year when I chose my Annual Word - Courage.  Next year, I think I'm gonna go for something a little easier, like "sloth" (kidding. sort of).  

My word has shown up in my life in various ways, as I've found they usually do.  However, when I chose that word I had something specific in mind and I've been dancing around it like a prima ballerina until last week.  

I would very much like to develop and grow a profitable business with my photography.  There, I said it.

That was going to take a lot of courage and it's taken me nearly an entire year to finally take a bold step and actually approach strangers with a proposal.  

At the risk of jinxing things - I had a very positive meeting this morning and, if everything continues to go well, my line of greeting cards will be offered for sale through the regional hospital gift shop.  

The real victory, of course, was in stepping outside my comfort zone - Waaay outside - by risking and having faith in myself and my product.  I expect to hear from them in the next day or two, after they consult with another team member who was unable to attend this morning's meeting. 

I'm optimistic and excited about the opportunities this may open up for me.  This is how the empire is built, my friends, one little brick at a time.

Thank you, as always for all your words of encouragement and support along this journey.  

16 comments:

Rosie Grey said...

Yay you!!! Congratulations for being so courageous and crossing my fingers for the further proceedings!

Grace said...

Congratulations! I'd like to hear more, and see more, about your greeting card line...are you producing them yourself, are they blank cards with just a fabulous photo on the front, are they for different occasions - I just want to know everything about them...How exciting!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Thank you, Rosie! It's been a pretty exciting morning.

Grace: I use a Canadian company to print my photographic images as greeting cards and they're all blank inside for personal messages. I have 16 different images that I've produced in this format, several of which can be viewed on my etsy site. A link to my on-line shop is located on the top of the sidebar. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail. :o)

The Dancing Donkey said...

Congratulations and thanks for sharing this. I've been having similar thoughts (about a very different kind of venture), but the doubts keep getting in the way.

I hope you have great success, your photos are certanly worthy of it.

S. Etole said...

Sounds like an excellent step. Going to check out your etsy site now.

C-ingspots said...

Good for you! Remember, the only way we really fail, is if we do not try...

Lin said...

Be sure to show us your cards---I, for one, can't wait to see the offerings. You never know if there will be some "outside" sales. ;)

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Doing a happy dance for you my friend, I know that is the hardest thing to do. And you are doing it.

Congrats.

Jen

JaneK said...

You go girl!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Dancing Donkey: I'm glad I could be of some help. What's the worst that could happen? They say "no thanks". Alright then. Take the feedback, work with it, and find someone who will say "yes." Good luck!

S. Etole: Thank you. :o)

Lorie: Absolutely true!

Lin: If you scroll up to what I said to Grace, you can see the images for many of my cards on my etsy site. Thanks for your interest!

Jen: You've been a source of inspiration for me for years. That said, it took a lot of positive self-talk to get me to the point where I could actually do it. Thanks for your support and all your help along the way!

Jane: Thank you! *grin*

Sharon said...

Yeah! This is exciting news. My fingers and toes are crossed on your behalf:) You know...this is just the beginning ~

altadenahiker said...

I believe in your photographs. Plus, given your gallery background, this seems like such a natural.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I probably need to choose "courage" as my word for next year... but I'm too chicken to do it. hee hee

I am so proud of you for going out and making your dream happen. The thought of having a meeting like you had, paralyzes my core. I couldn't do it. That's probably why I have no empire built. But you, my friend, DID IT! You're my hero!!!

Caroline said...

This is what life is all about...courage. I realized there is no "try"...you just have to do it! You will rock this...xo

Laura said...

good for you Carolynn this is fantastic!

Catherine said...

This is so fun!
xo Catherine

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin