Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What If I Were To Tell You...


What if I were to tell you that I adopted a 16 year old girl.  What if I told you she didn't speak English and her name was Celine.  What if I were to tell you she nearly died 3 years later before finally being diagnosed with diabetes.  What if I were to tell you that she made a full recovery and was thriving with twice daily insulin injections.  What if I were to tell you that I took her for an annual check-up one beautiful summer day and that during the performance of a routine test her thigh bone snapped in two.  What if I were to tell you that I'm still haunted by her screams of pain.  What if I were to tell you that I was faced with a terrible choice and that she died in my arms that day.  

What if I were to tell you that Celine was my beloved cat.


*******
I've enrolled in a writing e-course offered by Laurie Wagner that she calls Telling True Stories.  I'll be sharing the product of my work here that result from the writing prompts she gives us each week and this is the first of those.

13 comments:

Grace said...

That was interesting. Looking forward to reading more...

Christina said...

Tell me more please.

Nancy said...

Having a rescue that I love to pieces, your story is moving and heartfelt. She was very blessed to have had you to adopt her and give her probably the best years of life..She was blessed that you cared enough to get her help...She was blessed that you were willing to hold her until she went over the rainbow bridge. You were blessed by just knowing her....

Lin said...

Oh, that is so very sad!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

Sweet, sweet Celine. She was such an angel, wasn't she? I knew that her passing was untimely. I didn't realize how traumatic it must have been.

Your writing is once again beautiful, moving and expertly crafted.

TheChieftess said...

Ohhhh...heart break...

Catherine said...

Your writing grabbed me right away! You are always doing something - learning, exploring, trying. Good for you!
xo Catherine

Caroline said...

Wow...sorry for the pain you had to go through... Your writing is just beautiful though...

altadenahiker said...

Hearing anyone in pain is awful, but when it's your own animal, it's just unbearable.

S. Etole said...

My heart was in this from the very first. Good writing, but so sorry you had this sorrow.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Oh Carolynn, my heart goes out to you. She was such a sweetie, and I am so thankful that she got to spend good years with you.

Jen

C-ingspots said...

Oh Carolyn, I'm so sorry! The curse and blessing of having a compassionate heart...and of loving these beautiful animals that just don't live long enough. Big hugs to you my friend. I am so happy that Celine had you to love her and hold her when she died. She knew love.

Eileen said...

Oh my, that must have been a very difficult day. You write it extremely well, it drew me in, and created emotion both good and sad!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin